Sunday, February 27, 2011

Should the CRTC Regulate Internet Content with Canadian Standards?

I came across this in my studies recently and it is a interesting argument. The CRTC regulates Canadian radio and TV to maintain a certain amount of Canadian content. This promotes and protects Canadian artistic work which would be swallowed up by the American market without it. Now with the internet that truly is a global force perhaps it is time to force international sites to maintain a amount of Canadian content. For example if Netflix or Hula create a Canadian site as many users hope the CRTC could create standards that 40% of their advertising has to come from Canadian sources. I personally think this is a great idea as it would not only promote Canadian companies and artists but also prove to Canadian citizens then even going online is not a escape from being Canadian. We should protect our national identity and regulate the internet to further promote Canadian activities.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with this 100%, although I don't think they even take this far enough. I don't remember where I saw this or who told me, but Canadians only have access to 2% of our theaters to show Canadian films. I'd certainly wish that these were higher, though this regulation of internet content through the CRTC is a step in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is true. I did not mention that fact since I consider it more or less common knowledge but unless you live in a big city like Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver or Calgary then the chances of having a ciniplex that shows Canadian films if at all is slim. The federal government through the CRTC could easily require cinema's to have 20% space reserved for Canadian films and keep them in theaters longer then a week but they do not. Now interestingly enough I do not know if the Quebec provincial government regulates cinemas so they have to show a percentage of french language films but Quebecers are more likely to see Canadians films then ROC.

    Here is a link to a excellent reference although a little out of date: http://www.mta.ca/about_canada/movies/index.htm

    ReplyDelete