Thursday, March 10, 2011

Going For Your License

One of the more appealing aspects to growing older is the joy of going through certain rights of passage…should we take advantage of them. In Ontario, the wonderful age of 16 is the monumental time to be allowed to go for ones license. However, in my case, I waited a good five more years before even thinking or doing such a thing. Driving used to scare me. Being in control of a monstrous sized vehicle among people who disobey the law was a big “DO NOT ENTER, DANGER DANGER”. Even so, it finally hit me at 20 that I could have a good sense of freedom with a license. So, as a result, I bought a copy of the driver’s handbook and took as many online practice tests as humanely possible. The best part about being unmotivated at one point is when your parents sweeten the deal. Psychological manipulation but it worked. I was allowed to take control of our car should I need it. Anyways, when I finally went to the DMV, the atmosphere didn’t do much to settle my nerves. The set up was like a customer walking into a deli. Take a number and wait to be served. In an instant there was a flash of light; people ahead were taking their license photos. I took mine praying I didn’t look like a crazy person or drugged. We aren’t allowed to view them. So after all this, it was finally time to write the test. Someone’s phone went off twice! It’s bad enough you can hear yourself breathe, but to be surprised like that, it doesn’t help. Despite the drama, I passed! 96% on rules and 100% on signs, that’s right, g1 and eventually soon to be a fully licensed individual. My right of passage has begun and now I’m to deal with lessons and in car experience.

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you! Cars always looked monstrous to me. But I'm glad that I wasn't the only one who got my g1 at the age of 18..I can relate to you in that sense. But hey after all, getting your license is a big thing, I just hope to get my g2 this summer and then my G and I'll feel like I really did get far in life despite my little driving-phobia and mind you I only have this phobia because of some weird jerks out there who don't know how to drive properly. That's why I get scared that I might get into a car accident. However, congratulations though, for getting your g1!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait to you drive in the snow. Then you will learn "real" Canadian driving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got my G1 when I was 18, so don't feel bad. But to be honest, I was both lazy and had no reason to get a license. No car, no money for gas, what's the point? I still only have my G1 but I know how to drive...I just haven't done the test yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's rites of passage:P

    I'm still terrified to even think about driving. I prefer to use my legs though the thought of getting stuck in an underground tin can is a bit of a motivation to learn to drive.

    ReplyDelete